J. Space Weather Space Clim.
Volume 4, 2014
Space Weather and Challenges for Modern Society
|Number of page(s)||11|
|Published online||09 July 2014|
- Albertson, V.D., and J.M., Thorson, Power system disturbances during a K-8 geomagnetic storm: August 4, 1972, IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-93, 1025–1030, 1974. [CrossRef]
- Albertson, V.D., J.M. Thorson, and A.A. Miske, The effects of geomagnetic storms on electrical power systems, IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-93 (4), 1031–1044, 1974. [CrossRef]
- Albertson, V.D., J.G. Kappenman, N. Mohan, and G.A. Skarbakka, Load-flow studies in the presence of geomagnetically-induced currents, IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus and Systems, PAS-100, 594–606, 1981. [CrossRef]
- Allen, J., L. Frank, H. Sauer, and P. Reiff, Effects of the March 1989 Solar Activity, Eos, 14, 1479–1488, 1989. [CrossRef]
- Amm, O., and A. Viljanen, Ionospheric disturbance magnetic field continuation from the ground to the ionosphere using spherical elementary current systems, Earth Planets Space, 51, 431–440, 1999.
- Bolduc, L., GIC observations and studies in the Hydro-Québec power system, J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys., 64 (16), 1793–1802, 2002. [CrossRef]
- Boteler, D.H., Geomagnetically induced currents: present knowledge and future research, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 9, 50–58, 1994. [CrossRef]
- Boteler, D.H., The use of linear superposition in modeling geomagnetically induced currents, Proceedings IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, Vancouver, 21–25 July, 2013.
- Boteler, D.H., A.J.C. Lackey, L. Marti, and S. Shelemy, Equivalent circuits for modelling geomagnetically induced currents from a neighbouring network, Paper 002195, Proc. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, Vancouver, 21–25 July, 2013.
- Davidson, W.F., The magnetic storm of March 24, 1940 – effects in the power system, Edison Electric Institute Bulletin, 365–366, 374, July, 1940.
- Dommel, H., Electromagnetic Transients Program (EMTP) Theory Book, Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, Oregon, 1993.
- Dong, B., D. Danskin, R.J. Pirjola, D.H. Boteler, and Z.Z. Wang, Evaluating the applicability of the finite element method for modelling of geoelectric fields, Ann. Geophys., 31, 1689–1698, 2013. [CrossRef]
- Dorf, R.C., and J.A. Svoboda, Introduction to electric circuits, 7th ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Gaunt, C.T., and G. Coetzee, Transformer failures in regions incorrectly considered to have low GIC risk, Proceedings, IEEE Power Tech, Lausanne, July, 2007.
- Gilbert, J.L., W.A. Radasky, and E.B. Savage, A technique for calculating the currents induced by geomagnetic storms on large high voltage power grids, Proceedings, 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 6–10 August, 2012, pp. 323–328, 2012.
- Guile, A.E., and W. Paterson, Electrical power systems, vol. 2, 2nd ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1977.
- Haines, G.V., Spherical cap harmonic analysis, J. Geophys. Res., 90, 2583–2591, 1985. [CrossRef]
- Haines, G.V., and J.M. Torta, Determination of equivalent current sources from spherical cap harmonic models of geomagnetic field variations, Geophys. J. Int., 118, 499–514, 1994. [CrossRef]
- Hayt, W.H., and J.E. Kemmerly, Engineering circuit analysis, 5th ed., McGraw Hill, New York, 1993.
- Horton, R., D. Boteler, T.J. Overbye, R. Pirjola, and R.C. Dugan, A test case for the calculation of geomagnetically induced currents, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 27 (4), 2368–2373, 2012. [CrossRef]
- Kappenman, J.G., V.D. Albertson, and N. Mohan, Investigation of geomagnetically induced currents in the proposed Winnipeg-Duluth-Twin Cities 500-kV transmission line, Final Report for Research Project 1205-1, prepared for Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Palo Alto, July, 1981.
- Kappenman, J.G., Geomagnetic Disturbances and Impacts upon Power System Operation. In L.L., Grigsby (Ed.). The Electric Power Engineering Handbook, 2nd Ed., CRC Press/IEEE Press, pp. 161–1622, Chapter 16, 2007.
- Lehtinen, M., and R. Pirjola, Currents produced in earthed conductor networks by geomagnetically-induced electric fields, Ann. Geophys., 3, 479–484, 1985.
- Marti, L., C. Yiu, A. Rezaei-Zare, and D. Boteler, Simulation of geomagnetically induced currents with piecewise layered-earth models, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, in press, 2014.
- Molinski, T.S., Why utilities respect geomagnetically induced currents, J. Atmos. Sol. Terr. Phys., 64 (16), 1765–1778, 2002. [CrossRef]
- Ngwira, C.M., L.A. McKinnell, P.J. Cilliers, A. Viljanen, and R. Pirjola, Limitations of the modelling of geomagnetically induced currents in the South African power network, Space Weather, 7, S10002, DOI: 10.1029/2009SW000478, 2009. [CrossRef]
- Pirjola, R., Review on the calculation of surface electric and magnetic fields and of geomagnetically induced currents in ground-based technological systems, Surv. Geophys., 23, 71–90, 2002. [CrossRef]
- Pirjola, R., Practical model applicable to investigating the coast effect on the geoelectric field in connection with studies of geomagnetically induced currents, Adv. Appl. Phys., 1 (1), 9–28, 2013.
- Pulkkinen, A., S. Lindahl, A. Viljanen, and R. Pirjola, Geomagnetic storm of 29-31 October 2003: Geomagnetically induced currents and their relation to problems in the Swedish high-voltage power transmission system, Space Weather, 3, S08C03, DOI: 10.1029/2004SW000123, 2005. [CrossRef]
- Radasky, W.A., J.G. Kappenman, and J.L. Gilbert, An overview of the development, validation of large power grid models for geomagnetic storms, Proceedings of the 2006 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Environmental Electromagnetics, 1–4 August, pp. 25–28, 2006. [CrossRef]
- Stirling, M.J.H., Power System Control, Peter Peregrinus Ltd, London, 1978.
- Thomson, A.W.P., A.J. McKay, E. Clarke, and S.J. Reay, Surface electric fields and geomagnetically induced currents in the Scottish Power grid during the 30 October 2003 geomagnetic storm, Space Weather, 3, S11002, DOI: 10.1029/2005SW000156, 2005. [CrossRef]
- Trichtchenko, L., A. Zhukov, R. van der Linden, S.M. Stankov, N. Jakowski, I. Stanislawska, G. Juchnikowski, P. Wilkinson, G. Patterson, and A.W.P. Thomson, November 2004 space weather events: real-time observations and forecasts, Space Weather, 5, S06001, DOI: 10.1029/2006SW000281, 2007. [CrossRef]
- Viljanen, A., A. Pulkkinen, O. Amm, R. Pirjola, and T. Korja, and BEAR Working Group, Fast computation of the geoelectric field using the method of elementary current systems and planar Earth models, Ann. Geophys., 22, 101–113, 2004. [CrossRef]
- Viljanen, A., R. Pirjola, M. Wik, A. Ádám, E. Prácser, Y. Sakharov, and J. Katkalov, Continental scale modeling of geomagnetically induced currents, J. Space Weather Space Clim., 2, A17, DOI: 10.1051/swsc/2012017, 2012. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Ward, S.H., and G.W. Hohmann, Electromagnetic theory for geophysical applications. In : M.N., Nabighian Ed.. Electromagnetic methods in applied geophysics – Theory, vol. 1, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Tulsa, 131–311, 1988.
- Wik, M., A. Viljanen, R. Pirjola, A. Pulkkinen, P. Wintoft, and H. Lundstedt, Calculation of geomagnetically induced currents in the 400 kV power grid in southern Sweden, Space Weather, 6, S07005, DOI: 10.1029/2007SW000343, 2008. [CrossRef]
- Zheng, K., D.H. Boteler, R. Pirjola, L.G. Liu, R. Becker, L. Marti, S. Boutilier, and S. Guillon, Effects of system characteristics on geomagnetically induced currents, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 29 (2), 890–898, 2014. [CrossRef]
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.